This is a novella that ties "The Triad" to "The Family". Please bear in mind that this is a rough draft, and that continuity issues may crop up from time to time. This is Part 2-a of the War @ Home series.

28 October, 2012

Epilogue

July/August, 2039

Rina's recovery was a slow and frustrating process. She was frustrated most by physical therapy and not being able to walk properly.

Jeremy all but moved into the house that Rina, Helene and Jaime shared to help her with her physical therapy, her schoolwork once school started again, and solidify their relationship. Northwestern was very understanding about Rina's predicament, and allowed her to study at home and to come to classes when she felt up to it.

Rina was still confused about the man who came to visit her after her surgery weeks before. She swore he sounded like, but looked nothing whatsoever like, her father. Maybe she imagined the whole episode due to the strong painkillers she was taking. It still bothered her, but she wouldn't have a solution to that dilemma for several years.

She had a rather belated 17th birthday, but it was nothing like the extravaganza that Helene and Jaime envisioned. They were just happy she was alive, and they tried to take up the slack that her being incapacitated caused. They did it gratefully because Rina was their friend, and they loved her like a sister.

===

The nagging sixth sense that someone was following her disappeared soon after Rina's surgery. Jaime was glad that was over, because her main priorities now were school, work, and helping Rina recover from her accident.

Jared started classes at Northwestern that fall, and moved in with Jaime and her housemates. He shared the fourth bedroom with his cousin Jeremy when he came to visit Rina.

"You really love that girl, don't you, Jeremy?" Jared asked him one night after he moved in.

"Jared, you have no idea what almost losing her did to me, especially since it happened so soon after my parents' deaths,"  Jeremy said; "I would run through walls of fire for Rina. She is the one that is meant for me. I can't really explain it."

"I understand completely," Jared said; "Jaime does the same to me. I'm sure that Alexei feels similarly about Helene."

"I wish that the jerk who did this to Rina had the balls to come forward," Jeremy said. "He better hope the cops find him before I do, because I won't be responsible for what I'd do to him if I find him."

Jared only nodded. Jeremy was his favorite cousin, and they would become closer as time went on.

===

"Honey, I'm so sorry you had to find out about Rina's relationship to you they way you did," Christian DeWitt told his oldest daughter when he came out to Chicago to help her find a car; "It wasn't my place to tell you. Rina found all the evidence and she wanted to tell you herself."

"But you knew, Dad," Helene said, not disguising the hurt in her voice; "I should have known as soon as you found out."

"Leenie, Rina asked me not to say anything to you until she had a chance to tell you herself," DeWitt said; "I know you're hurt that I didn't tell you, but perhaps Rina told you when she did because she thought she wouldn't get another chance."

Helene thought about that, then said, "You're probably right. Rina hasn't mentioned it since. Maybe she doesn't remember telling me."

"Then cut her, and me, a little slack. Okay Helene?"

Helene hugged her father and said, "Okay, Dad... just this once. But don't keep secrets from me if you think I need to know. Especially about Mom."

"You have a deal, kiddo," DeWitt said; "Now, young lady, let's go out and buy you a  car."


===


August/September, 2039


"He's going to WHAT?!" Jaime said to her mother on the phone; "Uncle Jere is going to run for President?! Of the UNITED STATES?!!"

"It's kind of exciting, isn't it?" Julia asked her. "He's always had that charisma and knowledge to get his message out. Uncle Nik is going to be his campaign manager. Adriana and Arielle are working for them, too. I'm thinking of taking a leave to help out as well."

"Mom, no offense, but you'd be better off taking care of patients than trying Uncle Jere's patience on the campaign trail," Jaime said. "I know you, and you'll try to run the whole show."

"You're probably right, James," Julia said, laughing; "Always looking for ways to annoy my big brothers. But I don't have to let anyone know for a few weeks. I'm still thinking about it at this point."

"Personally, I think Uncle Jere should wait four years," Jaime said; "The field is already too crowded with Presidential wannabes."

"I'll pass that along to him," Julia said.

"Whose brilliant idea was it for him to even consider running for President?" Jaime asked.

"Apparently, a lot of people in Washington think Jere would make a great President."

"Yeah, right," Jaime said; "I think Uncle Jere could do it, but maybe it's not his time. That Richard Pike has a lot of people excited. Let him do it. He's just slimy enough to convince people to vote for him."

"He is a lawyer, after all," Julia concurred; "Now I know why Granpa David didn't want any of us to consider law or politics as a career choice."

"Granpa David is pretty smart," Jaime said; "Smart enough to stay out of both. How are he and Nonna Jordan doing?"

"Enjoying their long deserved vacation in Israel," Julia said. "Nonna Jordan thinks that John might be home soon after they return to Austin."

"I thought Uncle John liked it there," Jaime said.

"He did until his wife left him with a new baby and a mountain of debts," Julia said.

"I can't wait to see the little guy,"  Jaime said; "And Uncle John as well."

"Maybe at Thanksgiving, James," Julia said. "Concentrate on your studies now."


===

"Wait, you have a kid?"

"Two actually, but they don't know I'm not dead."

"Who would be willing enough to give you kids?"

"Their mother is a slut, that's for sure. But my issue with you is the girl you hit near Northwestern University. She is my daughter, and you fucked up. Even though she'll eventually recover, your life is essentially over. Can't leave any witnesses to my past."

"You don't have the balls to kill me, Pike!"

"Maybe not," Pike said, "but that's what I hire assassins for. Say goodbye to your miserable life."

Pike turned and walked away. As he got to his car and opened the door, he heard the gunshot that undoubtedly ended the other man's life. 

He had no idea that many years later, his past would come back to haunt him. A girl on a horse would see to that.

===

May, 2042


It was graduation day.

Three girls would get their degrees in an overly long ceremony that would have Rina becoming impatient.

They had been through a lot together, and their friendship was strong and unbreakable. Jaime and Helene had gotten married to their respective beaus, and Rina was about to.

If she could just get through the ceremony before her baby arrived.

Jeremy was excited to become a father, and the little girl his fiancee carried was due in five days.

Jaime had just learned that she was expecting, and Helene and Alexei decided that they'd wait another year before trying to have one of their own.

Their families were in attendence, and Rina thought she heard her niece, Carolin, chattering in the stands.

"Reen, you okay?" Helene leaned over and asked Rina. Rina was looking very uncomfortable.

"I think the baby wants to be center stage today, Helene," Rina said. "I've been having contractions all day. Nothing significant, just uncomfortable."

"Try not to have the baby come now," Jaime said; "While Helene and I would be thrilled, not everyone is on board with this."

"It's not really up to me, is it?" Rina said.

"Let's just get through this ceremony, then we'll take you to the hospital to meet the Little Miss," Helene said.

"I'm with you on that, Leenie, but Aida might have other plans," Rina said.

The ceremony went without incident, but as soon as it was over, Rina announced that she needed to get to the hospital.

"She's not going to wait, Jeremy!" she said to her fiance.

"Jaime's mom is here if Aida Giulietta just can't wait," Jeremy said. "I can't wait to meet her, but this isn't the place for that."

"Well, then," Jaime said, "it's off to the hospital with you, Audrina. Helene and I will be there soon."

"Promise?" Rina asked.

"Promise, promise, promise," Helene said; "A three times promise can't be broken."

===

"I'm glad I didn't run last time after all," Jeremiah Donovan said. "Jaime's pretty smart about those things."

"Indeed," Nik San Marco said; "But this time, we're going for it."

"Yes, we are," Jeremiah said. "And fuck the naysayers who say that a mixed man can't be President. It's been done once. Why can't lightning strike twice?"

===

"Well hello there, Miss Aida," Jeremy cooed to his hours old daughter. "You had us worried there for a minute that you'd ruin Mamma's big day."

Aida only yawned. Jeremy smiled. He then looked at the mother of his child, and her two best friends.

Never sell those three short, he thought. They're going to set the world on fire.




                                                                                                                                                   ~*fin*~


1 comment:

  1. AWWW.. what a sweet end to an exciting story. Rina's a mother, Jere's running for president, and all is crazy in the greater Chicago area of Illinois.

    I can't wait for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete